Palace now have a home fixture against Southampton before a daunting sequences of matches in which they face Manchester City and Manchester United away and then are at home to Chelsea. They fear another relegation battle.
An obvious contingency plan is in place for the club’s newly-appointed sporting director, Dougie Freedman, to take control of the first-team should De Boer be sacked. A decision is expected within the next 48 hours on what will happen.
, signing a three-year deal, would be suffer the ignominy of being the shortest-serving Premier League manager if he is dismissed.
The former Ajax and Inter Milan coach was defiant, however.
Asked whether he feared the worst over his future, De Boer said: “I don’t know. I just focus on what I can control and my staff, the players and keep thinking about Southampton from today. That is all I can do. What other people think, they have to decide but when I’m still the manager of Palace I will give 100 per cent.”
Had he been given an ultimatum by the Palace board, with chairman Steve Parish at Turf Moor to watch this fixture? “No, no,” De Boer said. “I have very good contact with the chairman and the board. Of course we are very critical to each other (sic) but always when we leave the door we have only one opinion and that is still that we are still with the project and we know where we come from and what we want to achieve. I’m convinced we are going to achieve it.”
It remains to be seen whether his employers are convinced, although there will be encouragement in this performance and De Boer’s apparent willingness to listen to the .
Still Palace have now lost at home to Huddersfield Town and Swansea and away to Liverpool and Burnley – they have played better away from home – with an aggregate score of 7-0 and with a squad of players who achieved wins against Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea with Allardyce last season.
In fairness De Boer is without, probably, Palace’s three best players with Wilfried Zaha and on-loan Ruben Loftus-Cheek injured and with Mamadou Sakho, y assistant Robert Moreno after less than a year in charge.Enrique had been absent since March because of “a family matter of an urgent nature” according to the Spanish Football Federation.”It was a decision Luis Enrique took himself, which we are grsuch a crucial figure last season on loan from Liverpool, having only just been signed and not yet deemed fit enough.
“I am very disappointed about the result, very disappointed,” De Boer said. “I am not disappointed about how we playegrowing in unsettled Olympique Marseille midfielder Morgan Sanson.Le 10 Sport reported earlier this week that an unnamed English club had made an offer for Sanson ahead of the January market.Wolves failed with a bid for the midfielder last summer – rd. I think it is a fantastic starting point. I will sign for every game if we create that amount of chances against any opponent. You will get your points and get what you deserve. Today we didn’t get what we deserved.”
Was it the kind of performance that will ‘buy’ him ed Ashley Barnes to Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy.The pair will go head-to-head at the King Power Stadium on Saturday and Dyche says they are an example to any aspiring non-league player.“They’re both fine players in different ways,” said the more time, though?
“I don’t know, they have to decide,” De Boer said. “I think this is a good starting point and this is what I want to see from any team that I manage. I want them to play with courage and maybe we didn’t start with it but after the goal we showed what we can do. That gives me a lot of hope for the future.”
Burnley manager Sean Dyche – who had been a candidate to take over from Allardyce at Selhurst Park in the summer – said that Palace “looked a more familiar side on paper” which had “worried” him.
“Changing the style of play can be tricky,” Dyche said. “I would have preferred it to be . We have had to work very hard.” Dyche revealed that he had told De Boer that Palace had been the “better side”. Whether that it is enough to save him remains to be seen.